Thursday, September 07, 2006

Meteors in Wales

Hello to all! Just a quick update. Tonight I'm sitting in my garden waiting for a good view of the Piscids ..... a usually pretty good meteor shower!
The peak of the Piscids occurs from about 11th September until the 20th, producing a modest five meteors per hour (the average number you can see on any clear night of the year). Unfortunately, moonlight partly obscures the shower in the early morning as well.

There's no need to worry if you do not know where Pisces is (this is the constellation where the meteors seem to be coming from), because the 'shooting stars' can appear anywhere in the sky. It's only when you trace any paths back will you arrive at the constellation in question.
As we have an exceptionally clear (but very cold) evening here in West Wales I thought I might take a look thru my telescope which has not seen the outside of the attic in 2 years!
I'll keep you posted & get some piccies if I can!

No comments: